Sunday, March 23, 2008
Yaaaaawnnnn. Woke up at one in the afternoon today and was a bit on the shocked side. But then I fell asleep close to 4am, so I guess I should've expected it. I was up reading Philippa Gregory's
The Constant Princess, which is about Queen Katherine of Aragon, the Spanish first wife of King Henry VIII.
It's pretty sad, her life. I don't mean in this book - though of course the part where her kind, nice husband Prince Arthur dies and to remain Queen of England she had to marry his younger brother Henry (and you know he's going to cruelly leave her to die later on in life) was pretty sad, but when she's middle-aged and Anne Boleyn steals her husband away in
The Other Boleyn Girl. She dies without ever seeing her daughter, Mary, ever again, and stripped even of the jewels she brought over from Spain because Anne wanted them.
But anyway Anne gets retribution. She gets beheaded soon after producing Princess Elizabeth, because Henry wants to marry yet another woman, Jane Seymour. Jane also gets passed some bad karma, because she dies while giving birth to Prince Edward.
Henry marries six women in total, anyway, and probably would've married more had he not died. He sucked!
His only legitimate son - King Edward - died at the age of fifteen and the throne passed after a battle to Anne's daughter Elizabeth, aka Cate Blanchett. I've been thinking, Eric Bana + Natalie Portman = Cate?
I swear I never knew much about the English monarchs until I started reading Philippa Gregory. I supposed if there wasn't so much lust and sex and the occasional incest (and I'm not counting the numerable cousin-marriages,even!!!! YUCK AND DOUBLE YUCK) her books might be used in Literature lessons in school.
I'm still pretty dozy and I have a dinner to attend. It is to celebrate my
grandmere's anniversaire. I hope I don't fall asleep facedown into the soup or something.
i thought the world of you
4:35 PM